In march 2005 I bought a Konica Minolta Dimage Z2 camera, and, although there are some websites describing, there are still some things I would have liked to know about the camera before I bought it, so I decided to set up this site.
The specs say that the camera can film 640x480 @ 30fps films, that last until the memory card memery runs out. But the specs also say the memory card needs to support writing data `fast enough' for this to work. Unfortunately, the specs nowhere mention how fast is `fast enough'. So, here is just one datapoint: When using a Dane Elec memory card of 1 gigabyte (the pdf clames write speeds of 3MB/s), I can make films of 12 minutes and 4 seconds. This is somewhat strange, as 1 gig is enough to film over 15 minutes, but the camera seems to stop at 12:04 (tried it four times, and each time filming stops at 12:04).
So, for all tested filmtypes recording stops well before the card is full, contrary to what the manual claims.
It can film, but it was somewhat difficult to convert the .mov generated by the Dimage Z2 (or I suppoze any other Dimage that can film) to .mpg files that play on my DVD player.
The Dimage Z2 generates audio with a samplerate of 7875 Hz, and unfortunately mplayer refuses to generate .mp2 compressed audio for that (.mp2 only accepts 16, 32, 44.1 kHz sample rates). mencoder does have resample options, but they don't seem to work. This complicates the conversion somewhat, and I had to use a three-stage process, using resample:
mplayer -novideo -ao pcm:file=audio.wav pict0047.mov resample -to 32000 audio.wav audio2.wav mencoder -audiofile audio2.wav -o pict0047.mpg -of mpeg -oac lavc -ovc lavc \ -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video:vhq:vbitrate=3000:acodec=mp2:abitrate=128 \ pict0047.mov
The first line generates an audio.wav file, with 7875Hz samplerate audio data. The second line converts the audio.wav to a 32kHz samplerate audio2.wav file. The third line then uses the audio2.wav together with the original video data in pict0047.mov to generate the pict0047.mpg that plays on my DVD player.
Using GNU VCDImager, and cdrecord (both packages from the debian testing distribution, around march 2005), I burn my SVCD's using:
vcdxgen --iso-volume-label='test.cda' *.mpg vcdxbuild --sector-2336 videocd.xml cdrecord -v -dao blank=fast speed=12 dev=/dev/hdd -immed cuefile=videocd.cue
Officially the resulting CD isn't a SVCD, as they apparently don't support 640x480 resolutions, but both DVD players I tried do accept it.
The following seems to work for me:
rm -f audio*.wav mplayer -novideo -ao pcm:file=audio.wav pict0047.mov resample -to 44100 audio.wav audio2.wav transcode -a 0 -i pict0047.mov -w 900,50 -b 64,0,2 --a52_drc_off -R 1 -y xvid,null -o /dev/null --print_status 25 transcode -a 0 -i pict0047.mov -p audio2.wav -w 900,50 -b 128,0,5,2 --a52_drc_off -R 2 -y xvid -o pict0047.avi --print_status 25
Transcode has a "-J resample" option, that sortof works, but the resulting audio is bad (and transcode segfaults on at least one .mov of mine), so I resorted again to the resample programme.
Copyright of the above text/pictures: GPL Joost Witteveen, firstname.lastname@example.org